For our last Something New Summer Experience, Lindsey and Kristi both went kayaking! Separately, in different places, so of course they had pretty different experiences. Listen to the episode here:
Takeaways from this experience:
- Follow the water and just keep paddling.
- Kayaks are more maneuverable, especially if you’re used to a canoe or a whitewater raft.
- If you mess up, it’s all on you. There’s no collective group of opinions like when whitewater rafting—and we had no guide.
- We’re all in the same river right now, but we’re not all in the same boat. Maybe you’re in a canoe taking on water, a raft skimming along with plenty of friends, or a kayak that you can steer by yourself, but sometimes you get stuck.
- Sometimes a guide doesn’t make the trip–especially if he leaves you behind. Life is really stressful when you’re trying to keep up with someone else’s pace. We don’t all interpret our trips the same way.
- Your past experiences can help you make decisions.
- We expect our experiences to be similar even when they are different trips. Too many expectations can set you up for failure.
Wildwood Outfitters on the Chattahoochee (yes, it’s way down yonder)
Chassahowitzka River in Florida for Manatee Viewing
Sometimes people tell you something is no big deal and it turns out to be a really big deal for you.Lindsey Brackett
Don’t miss our other Something New Summer episodes!
Don’t miss our new season focused on the Fruits of the Spirit, debuting August 10.
Kristi has a new book! Vying for the Viscount, the first book in Hearts on the Heath series, releases August 4. Join us that night for a fun Facebook Live with prizes, trivia, and plenty of Lindsey and Kristi talking over one another.
If you enjoy A Rough Draft Life please share with a friend and/or leave a review.
Follow us on social media @aroughdraftlife on Instagram and Facebook or join our Facebook community group and join in the conversation (or start it because full transparency, we’re a little overwhelmed right now).